Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Many Uses for Lavender

 According to Mountain Rose Herbs:
"Lavender has been thought for centuries to arouse passions as an aphrodisiac, and is still one of the most recognized scents in the world."
Hey thats pretty sexy right? Also,
 "Lavender is native to the Mediterranean, but now cultivated in cool-winter, dry-summer areas in Europe and the Western United States. The use of Lavender goes back thousands of years, with the first recorded uses by the Egyptians during the mummification process. Both the Greeks and the Romans had many uses for it, the most popular being for bathing, cooking, as an ingredient in perfume, healing wounds, and as an insect repellant. Lavender was used as an after-bath perfume by the Romans, who gave the herb its name from the Latin lavare, to wash. During the Great Plague of 1665, grave robbers would wash their hands in a concoction called “Four Thieves Vinegar”, which contained lavender, wormwood, rue, sage, mint, and rosemary, and vinegar; they rarely became infected. English folklore tells that a mixture of lavender, mugwort, chamomile, and rose petals will attract sprites, fairies, brownies, and elves. "

Lavender is my FAVORITE essential oil. Not only does it smell absolutely amazing, it has many other uses:

  1. I use mine in some of my home-made beauty products (Those posts have yet to be written-coming soon). Topping the list are my deodorant, body wash, Brilynn's shampoo, and lotions.
  2. I also add it to my cleaning products because it kind of cancels out the nasty smell of vinegar, which I use in ALL of my cleaning products now. (How to make cleaning products post coming soon.)
  3. I have a tiny spray bottle that I put about 10 drops of lavender in & add water. Then I spray it on basically everything including laundry, bedding, pillows etc.
  4. Lavender is commonly used for relaxation. You can add it to a bath or spray it everywhere you see fit :)
  5.  It is known to relieve headaches and stress, just rub it on your temples.
  6. It is a NATURAL antibacterial and anti-fungal,  hence the many cleansing activities it is used for.
  7. If you breathe in the vapors of lavender it can help loosen up phlegm, kick colds, influenza, and any respiratory issues you may be having.
I love using anything that can kill germs and bacteria, but won't harm my family. There are so many nasty, CANCEROUS, & toxic chemicals out there that we Americans use every single day. Don't you wonder why millions of Americans suffer from being diagnosed with cancer SO MUCH nowadays?? I do.

A really informative website that I like to visit is called ewg.org. It will tell you how toxic and what exactly is toxic in the every day products you use. Anything from food-to makeup-to toilet bowl cleaner!
 WARNING: This website is highly addicting and do not visit it unless you are prepared to make extreme changes in what you use in your home!!

Just like tea tree oil: It is not meant for internal use! Make sure to dilute it with a carrier oil of your choice (coconut oil, jojoba oil) if you are using it while pregnant or nursing.

I get mine on Amazon!!
Get you some.
xoxo GG

No comments:

Post a Comment